Tuesday, September 17, 2024

An Announcement

Hello Readers 😊

I am delighted to announce that I can now bring you this blog as an independent writing and language consultant and founder of Writing Works Consulting! My mission at Writing Works is to help you achieve your highest level of achievement and professional fulfilment through more effective writing and thinking. 

For many years an academic at the University of Sunderland (UK), I had the opportunity to work with students and research staff in my capacity as a lecturer, associate professor, and research writing mentor. As I taught, mentored, and led seminars, I realised the work of greatest and lasting value – and most pressing need across a range of disciplines and subject areas – was all about writing, thinking, and drafting. 
  • How do you take a pile of random notes and turn it into a persuasive argument? 
  • How do you sort and sift through all your material to know what you should say first, and then next, and so on, until your conclusion?
  • How do you evaluate the information you’ve collected to communicate to your readers why it matters? 
  • How do you move through successive drafts of your own work with deliberate purpose so that your final piece is effective and worthwhile? 
As regular readers will know, unpacking issues such as these and suggesting ways that you can roll up your sleeves, dig in, and actually do these things when you are writing your dissertation literature review has been my focus in this blog. 📕✍ 

As an independent writing and language consultant and founder of Writing Works Consulting, I will still be bringing you this blog. The only difference is that I can now, in addition to this blog, offer live workshops! 🎉 

If you are UK-based, like the contents of this blog, and would welcome the chance to practice the techniques set out here with direct feedback and guidance in a live workshop, contact me today to discuss a workshop for your research group. I can also discuss options for one-to-one support. 

You can
I can’t wait to hear from you 😊

In the meantime, happy writing, thinking, and drafting! 📒🤔✍️ 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Listening to Your Drafts: Insights for Students and Supervisors

As I look back on my writing about writing, I realise there is something I sometimes say without much explanation: we need to know how to li...